Within the first 5 months of the COVID-19, hundreds of Californians purchased new weapons and altered the way in which they saved their firearms in a bid to counter the unrest, authorities crackdowns and societal disintegration they feared could be unleashed by the general public well being emergency, a brand new survey has discovered.
The UC Davis researchers who carried out the survey detected shifts in gun ownerships developments that they stated are more likely to drive an uptick in firearm-related accidents and deaths, together with suicides and the results of unintended discharges.
By mid-July, the pandemic was cited as an element within the buy of an estimated 110,000 new firearms within the state, they reported.
The vast majority of these gross sales — 57% — have been to individuals who already owned no less than one gun. However the remaining 43% went to individuals who didn’t beforehand personal a firearm.
Learn the total story on LATimes.com.
Counsel a Correction